96. A long discussion about eggs
Get ready to shed 96 tears. We're back. We talk Wim Crouwel, Somerset House, Nokia, rival podcasts, paper aeroplanes, Lego adverts, ketchup and the imminent end of civilisation.
Get ready to shed 96 tears. We're back.
We talk Wim Crouwel, Somerset House, Nokia, rival podcasts, paper aeroplanes, Lego adverts, ketchup and the imminent end of civilisation.
- Provenance by Ann Leckie — Rob's reading the latest Ann Leckie slice of sci-fi. And very good it is too.
- Alamein to Zem Zem - Faber & Faber — Jon's latest read. The only book of poems from WWII comparable to those of the Great War by Owen, Sassoon, or Graves.
- Netflix - Abstract — Netflix's excellent art and design documentary series is back for season 2. We've both enjoyed the episode on Jonathon Hoefler.
- Inktober — Mr Jake Parker — Inktober. Get your pens ready for a month of drawing.
- Membership Options - Somerset House — Somerset house has announced details of its membership options. Surprisingly affordable.
- Design Manchester – Manchester’s seventh design festival, from 11–22 October 2017 — Designer Manchester, running from 11th – 24th November.
- A profile of Wim Crouwel: the Dutch graphic designer - YouTube — A profile of legendary designer Wim Crouwel who died recently.
- Why Every CEO Needs to Think Like a Hacker, Stalker, or White Nationalist — Good article on why creators of (mainly) digital products and platforms need to consider how they can be used for bad, as well as good.
- The Rissington Podcast: Episode 21 - Housekeeping & warming up after a 10 year break — Back after ten years away.
- Nokia 2720 Flip - Nokia phones - United Kingdom - English — Nokia producing a lovely looking little flip phone.
- Xiaomi’s Mi Mix Alpha is almost entirely made of screen - The Verge — Xiaomi produces a ludicrously sci-fi looking smartphone. Check out the light show as it charges.
- Daniel Benneworth-Gray on Twitter: "Fascinating thread on the deeply personal ways in which we visualise time. https://t.co/z6EiIgpx1I" / Twitter — Incredible.
- POWERUP 4.0 - Smartphone Controlled Paper Airplane by Shai Goitein — Kickstarter — It wouldn't be an episode of NvS without a Kickstarter. This one looks great.
- Lego reveals first brand campaign in 30 years, Rebuild the World - It's Nice That — Curious new brand campaign from Lego.
- Heinz Pour Perfectly - Rethink Canada — We're both in agreement. This is a bit ridiculous.
- New Studies Warn of Cataclysmic Solar Superstorms - Scientific American — Rob's prediction for the likeliest doomsday scenario. Cheerful stuff.
- Photographer Philip Butler traces the surviving iconic Odeon cinemas of the 1930s - Creative Boom — Rob's website/article/book of the week. Philip Butler's wonderful photographs of 1920's and 30's Odeon cinemas.
- Flexible, resilient and nimble - Supple Studio — Jon's website of the week. Supple studio. Great looking and effective site, for a small studio, producing lovely design, that seems like a great place to work.