Get ready to shed 96 tears. We're back.
We talk Wim Crouwel, Somerset House, Nokia, rival podcasts, paper aeroplanes, Lego adverts, ketchup and the imminent end of civilisation.
- Provenance by Ann Leckie — Rob's reading the latest Ann Leckie slice of sci-fi. And very good it is too.
- Alamein to Zem Zem | Faber & Faber — Jon's latest read. The only book of poems from WWII comparable to those of the Great War by Owen, Sassoon, or Graves.
- Netflix - Abstract — Netflix's excellent art and design documentary series is back for season 2. We've both enjoyed the episode on Jonathon Hoefler.
- Inktober — Mr Jake Parker — Inktober. Get your pens ready for a month of drawing.
- Membership Options | Somerset House — Somerset house has announced details of its membership options. Surprisingly affordable.
- Design Manchester – Manchester’s seventh design festival, from 11–22 October 2017 — Designer Manchester, running from 11th – 24th November.
- A profile of Wim Crouwel: the Dutch graphic designer - YouTube — A profile of legendary designer Wim Crouwel who died recently.
- Why Every CEO Needs to Think Like a Hacker, Stalker, or White Nationalist — Good article on why creators of (mainly) digital products and platforms need to consider how they can be used for bad, as well as good.
- The Rissington Podcast: Episode 21 - Housekeeping & warming up after a 10 year break — Back after ten years away.
- Nokia 2720 Flip | Nokia phones | United Kingdom - English — Nokia producing a lovely looking little flip phone.
- Xiaomi’s Mi Mix Alpha is almost entirely made of screen - The Verge — Xiaomi produces a ludicrously sci-fi looking smartphone. Check out the light show as it charges.
- Daniel Benneworth-Gray on Twitter: "Fascinating thread on the deeply personal ways in which we visualise time. https://t.co/z6EiIgpx1I" / Twitter — Incredible.
- POWERUP 4.0 | Smartphone Controlled Paper Airplane by Shai Goitein — Kickstarter — It wouldn't be an episode of NvS without a Kickstarter. This one looks great.
- Lego reveals first brand campaign in 30 years, Rebuild the World | It's Nice That — Curious new brand campaign from Lego.
- Heinz Pour Perfectly - Rethink Canada — We're both in agreement. This is a bit ridiculous.
- New Studies Warn of Cataclysmic Solar Superstorms - Scientific American — Rob's prediction for the likeliest doomsday scenario. Cheerful stuff.
- Photographer Philip Butler traces the surviving iconic Odeon cinemas of the 1930s | Creative Boom — Rob's website/article/book of the week. Philip Butler's wonderful photographs of 1920's and 30's Odeon cinemas.
- Flexible, resilient and nimble | Supple Studio — Jon's website of the week. Supple studio. Great looking and effective site, for a small studio, producing lovely design, that seems like a great place to work.