It's Hallowe'en and the portal has opened between the now and the never never. But enough about Rob's bowel movements…
This week in the podcast that is and isn't about human sacrifice, our Agents of Filth are rifling through Uncle Ted's VHS collection. Not that one. Rob and Jon talk about their favourite moments in horror films.
News includes the End of the World, Slasher Art, A Sleep Tracker for Vampires and Boris Johnson's Underpants. Quelle Horreur!
Pies are fresh from Sweeny Todd's… Wait, is that a fingernail. Yum. Wait a minute what's that? It can't be, it can't be. I-i-i-it's a VEGETABLE. Arrrrghhhhh…
- John Scalzi's The Consuming Fire — Rob and Jon are both reading this sequel to Scalzi's excellent Collapsing Empire.
- The Illustrated World of Mortal Engines — Rob was one of the illustrators for this book which is an illustrated encyclopaedia of the Mortal Engines world created by Philip Reeve.
- Murder Is Her Hobby: Frances Glessner Lee and The Nutshell Studies of Unexplained Death | Smithsonian American Art Museum — Creepy miniatures from the early days of forensic science.
- Edward Burne-Jones review – art that shows how boring beauty can be | Art and design | The Guardian — A withering, and not all that helpful, review of the art of Edward Burne-Jones.
- Jeremy Deller creates a monumental party for Stonehenge centenary | UK news | The Guardian — More wonderful stuff from Jeremy Deller, just a shame about the socks.
- Take that, Charlie Brown! The artists putting the pain into Peanuts | Books | The Guardian — Good Grief, Charlie Brown exhibition at Somerset House.
- I pulled a 1,500-year-old sword out of a lake | Life and style | The Guardian — Saga Vanececk, the new rightful Queen of Everywhere.
- What next for photography in the age of Instagram? | Art and design | The Guardian — The Power of Photography. Forget the clickbait headline, this is a great article about photography in today's changing landscape of technology and social media.
- Kai Grunwitz on Twitter: "👉 Something completely different: Great #AR experience 😅 Scary experience - but great #AugmentedReality window at a bus stop 👍 cc @FrRonconi @enricomolinari @kashthefuturist @DrUmeshPrabhu @HeinzVHoenen @DrJDrooghaag @evankirstel @KateOflaherty @nigewillson @alvinfoo @psb_dc… https://t.co/EwHsMQfaLc" — Great use of Augmented Reality.
- The Fog - Wikipedia — Rob's scares!
- The Woman in Black (1989 film) - Wikipedia — Rob's scares!
- An American Werewolf in London - Wikipedia — Jon and Rob's scares!
- Jaws (film) - Wikipedia — Rob's scares!
- The Beast with Five Fingers - Wikipedia — Rob's scares!
- Zombi 2 - Wikipedia — Rob's scares! This film was originally released in the UK as Zombie Flesh Eaters.
- Alien (film) - Wikipedia — Jon and Rob's scares!
- The Burning (film) - Wikipedia — Jon's Scares.
- The Shining (film) - Wikipedia — Jon's Scares.
- Poltergeist (1982 film) - Wikipedia — Jon's Scares.
- The Blair Witch Project - Wikipedia — Jon's Scares. (But only the last 30 seconds)
- Carrie (1976 film) - Wikipedia — Jon's Scares.
- The Wicker Man - Wikipedia — Jon and Rob watched this again for Halloween, and both realised that they'd probably never watched it all the way through before.
- The Haunting of Hill House — Jon and Rob watched this for Halloween.
- The Ash Tree by M. R. James. — Halloween reading for Jon and Rob.
- A Podcast to the Curious – The M.R. James Podcast — More M. R. James than you can shake a skeletal stick at.
- (1) Hammer House Of Horror: Season 1 Episode 1- Witching Time (Full Episode) - YouTube — Jon rewatched a bit of Hammer House of Horror. Hilarious and terribly sexist!